Posted by on May 22, 2011 | 2 comments

I’ve been back home in California for a week now, after spending an entire month in China. While I was there I took thousands of photos, which I am still sorting through, and so far the blog only covers the first week of our trip. I am back to working full time, which doesn’t leave much energy to focus on writing. But fear not, I will continue posting about the rest of the trip in the weeks to come. There is still a lot to cover, including our trek to a little-known section of the Great Wall; spending a few days in the village where Yuan grew up, in rural China; visiting my cousin Erik and his family in Shanghai; and relaxing in Zhouzhuang and Hangzhou.

I’m only now getting over my jet lag. The weather has been unseasonably cold and rainy here since my return, but now the sun is shining and it is warming up again. For most of the week I have had what seems like a cold, though the only symptoms have been a stuffy nose and a constant feeling of overwhelming tiredness. I think my body may just be trying to expel all the toxins I have accumulated over the past month. I have over-indulged in amazingly delicious Chinese food for too long, while living in one of the most polluted cities on the planet. It’s great to be able to breath fresh, clean air again and eat wholesome, organic food.

I have had a lot of great experiences in China, thanks in large part to the efforts of my wife. Yuan did everything she could to make this vacation as easy and stress-free as possible. She did all the research into where to go and where to stay, made reservations for trains, planes, hotels and restaurants, and acted as my interpreter and guide. She gave me new opportunities and took me to places I would never have found on my own. I cannot thank her enough for her generosity, her indulgence, and her spirit.

Now I am back home, while Yuan will remain in China for the next two months. This is her first trip back there in over 3 years, and she has so much to catch up on. Now she has time to pursue her own interests, and visit with her friends and family, without worrying about keeping me entertained. The house feels so empty without her. I love her dearly and miss her very much. This is the longest we have been apart from each other since the day we met. We are talking to each other every day via Skype, so at least I am able to see her smiling face, which makes me happy. I wish her joy and success during her time away, and look forward to having her back in my arms again soon.

Next up: my adventures on the Great Wall of China. There are a lot of pictures, and I will probably have to post this one in two parts. Stay tuned.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>